Polyhydramnios 3/24/2011

Today's testing showed that I have polyhydramnios due to Alli's condition. The doctors previously mentioned that it is common in CDH cases and have been watching me closely for it. Polyhydramnios is the excessive accumulation of amniotic fluid in the uterus during pregnancy. Amniotic fluid is the fluid that surrounds and protects a baby during pregnancy. Your baby breathes this fluid into its lungs and swallows it. This helps your baby's lungs and digestive system grow strong. Because Alli's lung and digestive system are not what they should be, she is unable to process the fluid properly which leads to the build up.

For now I have a mild case which simply means they will continue to monitor us closely. The extra fluid causes me additional discomfort, but Allison still looks great so they will not be intervening. If my levels continue to rise, they may attempt to drain the excess fluid or prescribe medication depending on the severity because polyhydramnios puts us at risk for preterm labor and other complications. The past few appointments I have been at 20cm which is high but still safe - the maximum before they worry. Today I am at 26cm. I will update on next weeks measurements. The hope is for the levels to stay the same or even decrease.

All other testing they did today was great. Allison is doing a great job growing and moving. Her heart rate is where it belongs and so is mine. No visible signs of preterm labor thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment